Friday, February 7, 2014

Book Satisfaction

I feel like there is some dissatisfaction going around in the booktube community (and in the reading world in general) about "over hyped books." I have many mixed feelings about this, and I'm going to try and share some of my thoughts here.

At the beginning of this year when I was thinking of some of my reading and booktubing resolutions. I thought that I might try and hold back a bit on getting too passionate about some of the books that I read. I didn't want to talk the book up too much, so then people's expectations would be too high. They could possibly become disappointed with that book because of the standards that I set for that book. But then I realized how silly this is. I'm a very passionate person and reading is just one of my passions. If I'm really excited about a book, I'm going to show it.

I myself have bought many books before just because so and so loved it and they hyped it up. I felt like I just had to buy it. (We've all been there.) Usually in these instances I'm not paying as much attention to what the book is about, just that the person loved it. What if that person and I don't like the same types of books?

I feel like if more booktubers took just a minute longer to really describe the book they are gushing about, not as many people would just immediately jump to amazon to purchase it. I'm sure the authors and publishers love that we have this effect on consumers (and on other booktubers) because of the money it brings in, but it can lead to dissatisfied readers. (And then flipped around, we as the viewers need to actually listen to what the booktuber is saying and see if this is a book that we would like.)

This seems like such common sense, but I see this happening all the time.

Make sure that the book is something that would interest you before you immediately buy it. I would recommend borrowing it first from a friend or going to your local library first. Those are free options, and if you end up hating it, you can give it back. We spend a lot of money on books, and so many of those books we don't even know what they are about. We just buy them because of the beautiful cover or because so and so liked it.

So summed up we can fixed this by 1.) Giving reviews for books that include what the book is about, not always just our feelings about it which is a lot more common that you would think. (I myself accidently do this a lot because I just want to gush about the book instead of giving useful information about it haha)
2.) As viewers we can listen more and really ask ourselves, is this a book that I might enjoy? I mean, it's great that say, your favorite booktuber likes it, but will you? If not, I'm sure there are thousands of other books that you will enjoy more.
3.) Limit our insane intake of books that we don't know anything about. (I'm guilty of this.) Again, I strongly encourage you to borrow books! The library is your friend!

I would love to hear what you guys think about this topic. There is more that I wanted to talk about, but this was a good starting point I think. Let me know in the comments!



5 comments:

Laura Plus Books said...

I definitely agree with you! I used to try to make my reviews a little less fangirly but I realized that I just love books. I'm not too picky and I fall in love with stories easily. Of course, I always pick out the negatives in books even if I love them! I dont think people should 'blame' the hype either. Sometimes you love books and sometimes you don't! :)

Stephanie R said...

I hadn't really thought about that before. I just sort of talk about how I felt about different aspects of the book with explanations. Fangirling and ranting are always fun though =)

Jessica said...

I agree! When you are passionate about something you shouldn't have to be afraid to share your enthusiasm!

Jessica said...

I agree! I wish more people would use their local libraries... It seems like you are book shopping the right way! Happy reading! <3

Jessica said...

I completely agree! If I'm reading a review over a book that I've read, I definitely love it when people are fangirling during it!
However, it's hard for someone if they've never read it and the reviewer isn't really describing it!
I think the perfect review includes both! Full of information and of course some fangirling!