Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars
By John Green

Pub Date: Jan 10th, 2012






Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

My Rating:



My Thoughts:

I first read this book back in 2012 when it came out. (This was before booktubing, blogging, and Goodreads and I didn't have a chance to share my thoughts.) This was also the first John Green book I've ever read. I've been wanting to reread this book for a few reasons. One, was because of the movie coming out this year (which looks amazing), and I realized that I had forgotten quite a bit.

The second reason, was because the first time I read this book, I didn't give it a fair rating. I've always been a huge reader and lover of books, but it hasn't been until really this past year or so that I've really started reviewing and seriously thinking about the ratings that I give books. Once upon a time, without really realizing what exactly I was doing, I would rate books on the overall lasting impression they gave me. I would mostly look at how the story wrapped itself up, and not so much about the story as a whole. I realize now that this is an injustice to the author and the book itself.

This is why my rating has gone from a 3 star rating to a 5 star rating. (I'm now rating the book on what I should actually be rating, ya know, the whole book.)

So now onto my actual thoughts. I really enjoyed this book and I believe that John Green has an uncanny ability to create realistic characters that we can relate to. While reading this book, I kept thinking over and over how much fun it would be to be friends with Hazel and Augustus. I can't tell you how many lines I marked in this book. It would be some of the most simple conversations, say like why eggs are only considered a breakfast food, that would really get me thinking. This book changes you. I love Hazel's outlook on her life. She doesn't feel bad for herself. She's accepted her fate.

The characters and John Green's amazing writing style is what really made this book a five star for me. I adore Hazel and Augustus's characters and wish we could have gotten a little more of their story..

I highly recommend this story to everyone, especially lovers of contemporary. Read this book, you won't regret it.

1 comment:

Francesca Guiducci said...

I want to read this book, I really do. It has been in my TBR for such a long time. Anyway, I'm far from home now (I'm in a different country by myself) and I don't know if I want to read sad books while I'm here. Do you agree with my fear? Or should I just jump into the book and don't be scared to be sad and cry a little? Love your youtube videos and now I'm going to follow your blog, too. Love from an Italian girl, temporary in the US