Monday, June 23, 2014

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me
by Tahereh Mafi
Pub Date: October 2nd, 2012
Series: Shatter Me #1
Source: Purchased


Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Although I didn't absolutely love this book, I did really enjoy it. I found Tahereh Mafi's writing style to be so poetic. The first few pages were a little strange reading the text that had been marked out, but I got used to it really quickly, and eventually really started to like it. 

I like that the book was told through Juliette's perspective, almost as if you are reading the story that she has written down in her little book with her broken pen. It's like she writes quickly without thinking things through, which is why she marks through a lot.


I knew going into this book that it was going to be heavy on the romance, so I made sure to wait to start this trilogy when I was in the mood for a book like that. I didn't mind that aspect, however, I found it to be a little rushed. It's hard to explain.. I can kind of understand why Juliette would fall for someone that quickly, but it's harder for me to understand the reasons why the other person did so quickly. It's hard for me to explain, but I'll try and do a better job when I post my video review/discussion (which will be added to the end of this post once it's uploaded).


I'm excited to start the novella, Destroy Me, and then the second book!

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

Alex Sun said...

I have recently purchased this! Great review! I've heard a lot of good things about Shatter ME!

Jessica said...

I've since finished the trilogy and LOVED it! Hope you enjoy it too!