Friday, March 21, 2014

Cress by Marissa Meyer

Cress
By Marissa Meyer
Pub Date: Feb 4th, 2014
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #3

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

My Rating:



My Thoughts:

I LOVED this book. This is definitely one of my favorite series ever. I LOVE fairytale retellings and Marissa Meyer does such a fantastic job of keeping all of the parts we love, yet adding in her own fantastic storylines! I love that our main character Cinder (Cinderella) is a cyborg and a mechanic. Scarlet (Little Red Riding Hood) is also a super fun character. BUT CRESS. Oh man. I fell in love with this new character so quickly. I found myself feeling so much sympathy for her being by herself for so long. I was laughing out loud when she was describing her little exercises she would do and I thought that Little Cress was precious. I also found her crush on Captain Thorne really endearing.
I HIGHLY recommend this series! It has everything I love and want in a series! (By the way, the fourth book Winter is probably #1 on my most anticipated reads now.. come ON February 2015...)

The rest of this review is going to turn more into a discussion of Cress, so please only continue if you have read the book! I love this series so much and can't help but want to gush about some of my favorite parts!

I really, really enjoyed all of the chapters with Cress and Thorne. SO ADORABLE. I felt TERRIBLE for Thorne though when he lost his sight... and he took it so well! I think that shows a lot about his character.. I love that he was trying to be patient with Cress, but also make her realize reality at the same time like with the crying in the desert, for example. I thought it was so precious how Cress would get SO EXCITED about all of the trees and animals and things. Her innocence was really enjoyable to read about. I definitely love them as a couple and I can't wait to get to read Winter when Thorne finally gets his sight back (and hopefully Cress and Thorne will finally get together).

I'm SO happy that Prince Kai knows about Cinder now. I admit I got pretty frustrated when he was thinking that Scarlet was the lost Princess.. He took it pretty well in the end and I'm excited for them to finally get to Luna and start the rebellion!

I'm still really worried about Scarlet and Wolf. I think that Wolf will save Scarlet, but I'm just hoping he doesn't let his temper get in the way.. Hopefully he doesn't do anything stupid.

Speaking of Scarlet, let's talk about her new little FRIEND, shall we? I haven't been this interested in a character in awhile. These months are going to just crawl on by until I get to finally read about Winter! I'm in love with the story of Snow White ALREADY and the fact that she is MAD?! I can't believe she has been choosing to not use her powers EVEN THOUGH she knows what it's doing to her mind.. I think that shows a lot about her. I hope she finds a way to help Scarlet (and the rest of them) and hopefully she can get Jacin back! I believe that Cinder will obviously have a HUGE part in this rebellion on Luna, but I can't shake the feeling that Winter is going to have a MASSIVE part as well.. I think that the people on Luna already love her (and I bet that many feel sorry for her) while not as many people know Cinder.. I don't know! Guess we will have to wait and see!

In case you missed them:
My Cinder/Scarlet review & discussion
BookTuber Liveshow discussing Cress! (with LittleBookOwl, Katytastic, and Ermahgerd Berks!)

Let me know in the comments what you all thought!!

1 comment:

Marie J said...

BEWARE THERE ARE SPOILERS IN MY COMMENTS SO IF ANYONE HASN'T READ CRESS, PLEASE DON'T READ IT !
I just read something on Goodreads that I hadn't noticed while reading the book. When Winter talks to Scarlet about her friends, she talks about Jacin ("the one with the sun in his smile, etc") and another one that has been "made into ashes" and she's probably talking about Selene, right? Because of the ashes/Cinderella/Cinder/Selene burning thingy! OMG how awesome is that? It means that Cinder and Winter were friends when they were young (which is probably obvious now I come to think of it, since they're both the kids of the royal family) but oh do you think they'll recognize each other? That'd be so sweet!
And did you know there's another novella called "Carwell's guide to being lucky"? I just heard about that too, I'm soooo excited, I don't know if I should read it RIGHT NOW because I need more Lunar Chronicles or if I should wait because Winter only comes out in February haha