Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Obsidian
By Jennifer L. Armentrout

Publication date: May 8, 2012
Series: Lux #1


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.
- Goodreads
My Rating:



My Thoughts:

Thought #1 - WOW that cover is hideous. Yikes. Good thing I read this one on my nook so nobody could see...

So I was told way before starting this book that it was going to have a TON of Twilight parallels and BOY DID IT.
If I hadn't been warned, I may have been irritated, but since I was, I didn't think it was so bad.

I gave this book 4 stars because I really liked it, and for half a second almost considered giving it 5. The only reason why I was going to do that was because how much I enjoyed reading this book. Just like Twilight, it pulls you in and you can't stop reading. (Which is why it took me two sittings within two days to finish this book.) I'm not going to call it a "guilty pleasure" book, but it was definitely addicting.

I didn't give it 5 stars for a few different reasons...
One reason was because there were times that the writing style kind of bugged me. I'm not saying that Jennifer Armentrout isn't a good writer by any means.. but at times I found her writing a little.. hard to swallow? I distinctly remember one quote from Katy where she described Daemon's face as "his face looked awesome." That was it. No other descriptions or anything. I'm someone that really, really enjoys hearing those "pointless" but not pointless to me descriptions about character descriptions. Basically we just heard about how hot Daemon was the whole time. Her friends at school and other classmates were hardly noticed by the author and described to us in great detail. This is just my opinion though. I can understand why many people like that Jennifer Armentrout just jumped right into the "good parts."
One thing that I'm happy about is I don't feel like she made the aliens too corny which I was very worried about.

Another reason why I couldn't give it 5 starts is because I didn't feel like it was original enough. There were just too many parallels to Twilight. The main character and Bella, the near fatal car accidents in both that almost killed the main character, Daemon saving Katy from drunk Simon/Edward saving Bella from the drunk jerks, Ash hating Katy/Rosaline hating Bella, Daemon's "family" saying that Katy is a risk and will expose them/Edward's family saying the same thing, the new character living with just one parent, the main character going to a new school and dreading it, the main character not realizing how beautiful she really is and Daemon has to spell it out for her. Ya. There's way more too.

There were many parts that I loved though (I mean obviously, I did give it 4 starts after all.) I like how Katy doesn't let Daemon push her around. I LOVED it when she dumped the spaghetti on him and Ash. (You go girl!) Although Bella and Katy have many similarities, I felt like AT LEAST Edward and Daemon are very different. Daemon reminds me of Damon from the Vampire Diaries. He's so badass and blunt and cocky. Definitely not a 100 year old virgin...

This was a very long review. Why? I don't know. It's late... Did I mention that I love that Katy loves to read? And she blogs!? So cool!
Okay that's enough for now. 

My video review:


6 comments:

Phantom Book Blog said...

I am so very conflicted about starting this series.

Book BFFs said...

I forgot about the spaghetti part haha. Love this series, but I agree there are a lot of parallels to Twilight in book one.

I came from your Book Blog video to check out your sight. Have you thought of using Disqus? It's a commenting thing that you can put on your blog so you don't have to use captcha (the random words they make you enter before commenting). I have it on my blog and it keeps the sp*ammers away.

Anonymous said...

You will love the rest of the series they are amazing! :)

Jessica said...

I hope so! I'm currently reading Opal and I'm really enjoying it! :)

Jessica said...

Really? I wouldn't have started if it wasn't for the persistence from many friends haha It's not an amazing work of literature.. but still an enjoyable read!

Jessica said...

Thanks for checking it out!!
I JUST started using Disqus! Thanks for recommending it to me! :)