Friday, March 28, 2014

Half Bad by Sally Green

Half Bad
By Sally Green
Pub Date: March 4th, 2014
Series: Half Bad Trilogy #1

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
Half Bad by Sally Green is a breathtaking debut novel about one boy's struggle for survival in a hidden society of witches.

You can't read, can't write, but you heal fast, even for a witch.

You get sick if you stay indoors after dark.

You hate White Witches but love Annalise, who is one.

You've been kept in a cage since you were fourteen.

All you've got to do is escape and find Mercury, the Black Witch who eats boys. And do that before your seventeenth birthday.

Easy.

My Rating:



My Thoughts:

I didn't dislike this book, but I didn't love it either. It was okay.

The idea of this story is interesting. White (good) witches and black (evil) witches hating each other.. a son of a white AND black witch trying to find his father.. The idea seems pretty interesting. The main character is so mistreated and abused that you definitely find yourself rooting for him and hoping he escapes.

However, I felt like a lot was left out of this book.

We never really learned why white witches hate black witches. Is it because they kill people? OH, you mean killing, like the white witches do? They TORTURE people, so this "good witch" stuff is a load of crap.

Everyone just seems to hate everyone in this book... because? We don't know. Most of the time it seems to be because of a grudge after someone killed someone's great, great grandmother or something.

Another thing that I wish we would have gotten more of is character depth. Most of the characters I read about, I didn't really care about. Even NATHAN at times, and he is the main character! I don't know if it was the story or the author but I had trouble connecting to this story...

I WANTED to feel bad for Nathan (and I did at times, but not as much as you would think seeing as everyone hated him and he was tortured in about every chapter.) I WANTED to like the love story, but that too, was just okay. I did like his half brother Arren, and his friend Gabriele, but they were such small parts of this story.

Unfortunately, the ending felt a bit rushed (while the beginning 3/4 kind of dragged on a bit for me). I'm not sure if I will continue or not. I feel like this first book was just an introductory book and so I MAY continue on, now that the foundation has been set. I am interested in seeing what Nathan is capable of now that he is free, sort of. I'm curious to see what his gift will be, so I may continue.

2 comments:

Olivia Guitron said...

I like your honesty and I like that you rated a popular contemporary. Great review!!

Jessica said...

Thank you!! :)