Saturday, March 22, 2014

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella

I've Got Your Number
By Sophie Kinsella
Pub Date: Oct 31st, 2011

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
I’ve lost it. :( The only thing in the world I wasn’t supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It’s been in Magnus’s family for three generations. And now the very same day his parents are coming, I’ve lost it. The very same day! Do not hyperventilate, Poppy. Stay positive :)!!

Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry her ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her “happily ever after” begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring in a hotel fire drill but in the panic that follows, her phone is stolen. As she paces shakily around the lobby, she spots an abandoned phone in a trash can. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!

Well, perfect except that the phone’s owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn’t agree. He wants his phone back and doesn’t appreciate Poppy reading his messages and wading into his personal life.

What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other’s lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls, and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents . . . she soon realizes that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.

My Rating:





My Thoughts:

This was my first Sophie Kinsella book and I REALLY enjoyed it! I borrowed an audiobook from my library and hope to someday buy the book! As far as the audiobook goes, I thought that the reader was fantastic! She has a British accent(which was obviously appropriate since Poppy is British) and I really enjoyed listening to her voice!

Footnote: Which of course is a very important factor in choosing audiobooks. I mean, I listened to this lady talk for 13 1/2 hours.. I had BETTER like her voice... (ha! see what I did there? Okay, so what if it's not at the bottom of the page. I'm writing a review, OKAY?)

Anyways, I really enjoyed reading about Poppy's life, and although this may make me sound insanely selfish, I was kind of enjoying that fact that someone was having a worse day than I was. I may think that school is really terrible and hard right now, but the things that Poppy goes through in this book are hysterical. For example, the part with Wanda's birthday gift had me laughing out loud!

I loved the character development in this book, and found it really neat that two imperfect people found each other, and together become more of a complete person. (I don't think I'm making any sense..) Okay, so basically I liked that Poppy became more sure of herself and learned to stand up for herself. I myself am pretty similar to Poppy in that I always try to help others and I struggle with being assertive and getting my own feelings across sometimes. It made me feel really good about myself as well and kind of made me feel empowered. I think it's really important to stand up for yourself.

This book surprised me and I was very pleased with how it ended. I definitely didn't see a few things coming which is always nice in books like this.

The rest of this review is now going to turn into a rant/discussion. If you haven't read this book, and are a fan of chick lit I highly recommend this book!

I was a tad annoyed though. I mean, REALLY annoyed at some parts. (This was probably the main reason for the -half a star). Although I really liked her, I was SO frustrated with Poppy at times. Like towards the end.. HE CHEATED ON YOU AND HE SUCKS AND WHY ARE YOU MARRYING HIM OH MY GOODNESS. YOU DON'T NEED A MAN IN YOUR LIFE. JUST BE SINGLE AND WAIT FOR SAM. Ya.. I was freaking out a bit. Poor Sam is just texting her and he asks her to go get a cup of coffee, and she's just like hey, lets snap a picture of myself in my wedding dress and give Sam a heart attack. Okay. (Sorry I'm rambling a bit. This is why I'm going to film a video about this book.) 

This book brought out A LOT of emotions from me, good and bad. I'm so happy that I ended up reading this book and can't wait to read more by her in the future!

Let me know what you thought of the book in the comments below!
Fan of Sophie Kinsella? Recommend some more books by her to me!

1 comment:

Kevin Dones said...

I am in love with Sophie Kinsella! Try the Undomestic Goddess! Sam Sweeting is just crazy compulsive and a total workaholic! This book just taught me that you need a break from work and schedules. Great review BTW.