Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

Since You've Been Gone
by Morgan Matson
Pub Date: May 6th, 2014


The Pre-Sloane Emily didn't go to parties, she barely talked to guys, she didn't do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—the one who yanks you out of your shell.But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just... disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-selected-definitely-bizarre-tasks that Emily would never try... unless they could lead back to her best friend. Apple Picking at Night? Ok, easy enough.Dance until Dawn? Sure. Why not? Kiss a Stranger? Wait... what?

Getting through Sloane’s list would mean a lot of firsts. But Emily has this whole unexpected summer ahead of her, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected) to check things off. Who knows what she’ll find?

Go Skinny Dipping? Um...
This book just made my favorites list for 2014. I absolutely loved all of the characters, the plot, the setting, everything about this book. I'm going to try my best to explain why, but sometimes it's hard for me to explain why I love a book so dearly.

It was so fantastic to get to grow with Emily through her unexpected summer. I found myself relating to her, and I was so proud of her when she was able to check off yet another item on her list. I loved reading about her conquering her fears while learning how to be her own person. It's fine to have a best friend, but you can't always hide behind them. I loved all of the messages in this book, one of them being to live your life to the fullest and to never let yourself stand in someone else's constant shadow. 

I adored reading about Emily's relationship with Frank and her other new friends. There were so many hilarious chapters like when Emily is trying to "Hug a Jamie" or "Go Skinny-Dipping." And of course there was many, many chapters that made me just want to squeal from all of the cuteness. I loved, loved, LOVED Frank and I thought that the running, and mixed playlists, and all of the Beatles talk, was just the best.

This is one of those books that really touches you and makes you reflect on your own life. It makes you think about saying yes to new things and getting out of your comfort zone. I felt like there were so many worthwhile lessons throughout this book that I really connected with!

I own two other books by Morgan Matson, and now I can't wait to read them!
If you love contemporary books, definitely pick this one up! This was the perfect summer read!


Let me know in the comments what your thoughts on the book was as well!

No comments: