Thursday, June 26, 2014

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Unravel Me
by Tahereh Mafi
Pub Date: February 5th, 2013
Series: Shatter Me #2


tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.
Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.
She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.
Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.
In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.

This was an amazing sequel and if you read Shatter Me, I highly recommend that you continue on to read this book because I liked it even more! Don't forget to read the novella, Destroy Me, first though!


Discussion (Spoilers):
Whew. What a book. So this series has been getting better and better! I liked that Juliette was in a new location and was surrounded by other people with special abilities. I think that that was one of the biggest reasons why I loved this book so much. Many of you know my fascination with any type of story involving superpowers so this was perfect for me. 

This book really reminded me of The Host by Stephenie Meyer (which I love, oh so much by the way) just minus the super powers. A bunch of rebels living underground that are terrified of the strange girl in their midst. PLUS there's a love triangle, don't forget the love triangle. Also one of the love interests has a sweet little brother that becomes friends with our main character? They all go on raids to steal food and other necessary supplies? Come on, tell me you didn't see that? 

I love that Juliette learns to control her powers and is basically like Hulk now crushing bricks in her fist. I'm so excited that Adam and Warner also have powers, although Adam's was a little sad to learn about.. Poor Juliette thought that she had finally found another human being that understood her and could finally give her a hug, only to find out that she is secretly wearing him down, and will some day probably kill him. Wow. 
But thennnn, we learn about Warner's gift. Juliette literally gives him strength and helps him when she touches him.. which is kind of a miracle, since she normally just destroys anything that she touches...

I know that a lot of you are going to ask, so.. I'm team Warner. I wasn't too crazy about either relationship at first, but I've been leaning more and more towards Warner. Now after reading both Destroy Me and Unravel Me, I'm sold.

I would like to point out something that does make me laugh a little, however. Juliette sure doesn't waste any time, huh? I try to put myself in her position though.. Hot Adam and hot Warner were the first two people to ever touch her (without almost dying) so I think I would probably react the same way that she did. It would all be pretty overwhelming I'm sure...

I'm planning on starting Fracture me right now, then I'll be picking up Ignite Me! So excited to continue!

5 comments:

Frannie Panglossa said...

I knew you were gonna love it, I knew it!! Team Warner all the way, this book was soooo incredible and I love it so much!
Oh, you're gonna hate Fracture me. Well, hate in a good way, if that makes sense xD

Jessica said...

haha I DID hate Fracture Me.. well just because it was through Adam's perspective when I would have rather had Warner's again.. also I hated it because of the terrible thing that happened at the end of the novella :(
LOVED Ignite Me though! My review will be posted today!

Frannie Panglossa said...

Can't wait to read it!! :D I still can't decide whether I love Unravel me or Ignite me more. I mean, Juliette and Aaron together were something extraordinary and when Juliette talked back to Adam I was screaming of joy and relief but those little and deep chats during Unravel me when Juliette started to realize who Aaron really was... I still get the chills, it was mesmerizing!!

Jessica said...

Yes! I completely agree with everything you just said! I almost want to go back and reread those passages again in Unravel Me! haha

Frannie Panglossa said...

I know, right? They were just so awesome! And being this my favorite series ever, sometimes I grab Unravel me and start rereading all Juliette and Warner's conversations! I feel like I start daydreaming when I do it! This series wasn't a great "dystopian" but what Tahereh Mafi did with the characters goes beyond what words can explain!