Saturday, December 21, 2013

Choker by Elizabeth Woods

Choker
By Elizabeth Woods
Publication Date: January 4th, 2011
Source: Library

Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
Sixteen-year-old Cara Lange has been a loner ever since she moved away from her best and only friend, Zoe, years ago.
She eats lunch with the other girls from the track team, but they're not really her friends.
Mostly she spends her time watching Ethan Gray from a distance, wishing he would finally notice her, and avoiding the popular girls who call her "Choker" after a humiliating incident in the cafeteria.

Then one day Cara comes home to find Zoe waiting for her. Zoe's on the run from problems at home, and Cara agrees to help her hide.
With her best friend back, Cara's life changes overnight. Zoe gives her a new look and new confidence, and next thing she knows, she's getting invited to parties and flirting with Ethan. Best of all, she has her BFF there to confide in.

But just as quickly as Cara's life came together, it starts to unravel.
A girl goes missing in her town, and everyone is a suspect—including Ethan. Worse still, Zoe starts behaving strangely, and Cara begins to wonder what exactly her friend does all day when she's at school.

You're supposed to trust your best friend no matter what, but what if she turns into a total stranger?

My Rating:



My Thoughts:

Where do I begin... This book was very, very disappointing..
I guessed what was happening a couple of chapters in (but I just hoped that I was wrong).
The plot was very predictable.. I don't like books like this at all. I had no idea that this would be so creepy and messed up.

I guess some people might have felt for the main character a bit, but I unfortunately didn't. She didn't have any friends at school, but did you ever see her really try? She was only concerned with trying to get Ethan to like her. She only sat at the table with the other track girls, but I'm sure that there was at least one nice girl in her school that she could have become friends with.

What about her parents though? Cara had AWFUL parents. Knowing what they did.. they left her alone SO much. That's not good for anyone.. I personally think that they may have been avoiding her. They were so edgy around her.

One thing that I did like in the book was the love interest in the story. Ethan wasn't bad. He seemed like a genuinely nice person (whom I found myself feeling really sorry for later in the book). He will definitely be needing therapy..

Poor Samson.. This book reminded me of a bit of the movie Secret Window with Johnny Depp. (That was the only movie that I didn't like with him in it.)
It also reminded me a bit of The Kissed by An Angel series by Elizabeth Chandler (the later books).. both were creepy and not what I like at all.

I don't recommend this book. I'm always so disappointed when I read a book like this because I have SUCH a huge TBR pile and I KNOW there are tons of amazing books in it.. I hate wasting time..

It's so SO rare for me to rate a book like this. I don't think I've rated a book this low since starting my Goodreads account. I'm usually a little TOO star happy and rate almost all books 4 or 5 stars.
This book just wasn't for me.



2 comments:

Ella Johnson said...

The book got you so angry that you wrote: '4 or 5 starts' instead of '4 or 5 stars' :o)
Nice review by the way. The only thing I can say is: Fight Club did it better.
(I hope I'm not spoiling anything by saying that.)

Ashfa_Anwer said...

I won this book in a giveaway and it's sitting on my shelf. Sounds like a good book but disappointing that it has no substance, Loved the review.