Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

The Silver Linings Playbook 
By Matthew Quick
Publication date: October 16, 2012
Sarah Crichton Books, 289 pages

Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
Meet Pat.

Pat has a theory: his life is a movie produced by God. And his God-given mission is to become physically fit and emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending for him -- the return of his estranged wife Nikki. (It might not come as a surprise to learn that Pat has spent time in a mental health facility.)

The problem is, Pat's now home, and everything feels off. No one will talk to him about Nikki; his beloved Philadelphia Eagles keep losing; he's being pursued by the deeply odd Tiffany; his new therapist seems to recommend adultery as a form of therapy. Plus, he's being hunted by Kenny G!

In this enchanting novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat's mind, showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. As the award-winning novelist Justin Cronin put it: "Tender, soulful, hilarious, and true, The Silver Linings Playbook is a wonderful debut."
- Goodreads
My Rating: 

My Thoughts: 

This is has become one of those books that I really, really enjoyed reading, but couldn't quite put my finger on exactly why. I mean, I watched the movie before and absolutely fell in love with it. I'd heard that the book and movie were very different so I wasn't expecting a perfect match (I think this helped as well.) I found myself just falling in love with Pat and Tiffany's COMPLETELY messed up lives for some reason and was rooting for them the entire book. Not just romantically.. I was really, really hoping that each of them got the happy endings that they deserved. I can't believe how far Pat has come from the beginning to the end of this book. I don't know.. some books just really speak to you and it's hard to put it into words.. I definitely recommend this book!





Would you like me to discuss this book in a future video?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

1 comment:

Courtney Chance said...

This was A terrific book which had me VERY skeptical of the movie, usually books turned movies fall flat for me. Nope not this one. Probably one of my all time favorite movies and I can't even tell you why. Samw with the book I agree with you, its a book I fell in love with, but nothing I say can describe why!