Friday, December 20, 2013

Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill

Being Sloane Jacobs
By Lauren Morrill
Publication Date: Jan 7th, 2014
Source: Netgalley

Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
A new novel about following your dreams . . . and finding your heart from the author of Meant to Be. Meet Sloane Emily Jacobs: a seriously stressed-out figure skater who choked during junior nationals and isn't sure she's ready for a comeback. What she does know is that she'd give anything to escape the mass of misery that is her life.

Now meet Sloane Devon Jacobs, a spunky ice hockey player who's been suspended from her team for too many aggressive hip checks. Her punishment? Hockey camp, now, when she's playing the worst she's ever played. If she messes up? Her life will be over.

When the two Sloanes meet by chance and decide to trade places for the summer, each girl thinks she's the lucky one. But it didn't occur to Sloane E. that while avoiding sequins and axels she might meet a hockey hottie—and Sloane D. never expected to run into a familiar (and very good-looking) face from home. It's not long before the Sloanes discover that convincing people you're someone else might be more difficult than being yourself. - Goodreads

My Rating:



My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed reading this book. I was really in the contemporary mood and this was the perfect book. I didn't want anything too heavy, and so again, this was perfect. This story is so much more than just two girls switching lives for a summer. I thought that the character development was great and I really enjoyed reading about each of their individual journeys.

I really loved that this book centered around ice skating and hockey. I've never been able to stay up on the ice, and so hearing about others do it is amazing to me. Also, I'm not a big fan of watching sports (I'd rather just play them) but hockey is one of the few that I think is SUPER interesting to watch. They just fly across the ice! It's amazing! 

There were times when I would get a bit antsy (because each chapter switched back and forth between the two girls) and so at times I wished that I could just jump ahead to whichever story I was finding more interesting at the time. Later, I started to get over that and was enjoying both stories though. I thought that there was going to be a bit more of a build up, some might say that it was a tad anti-climatic, but I still enjoyed it all the same. It was a very enjoyable read.




2 comments:

Stephanie R said...

I can get that way too with dual POV books. Sometimes you're so much more interested in one character than the other and their story gets neglected. I think I prefer dual POV when the characters spend more time together so that they don't take away from each other. Nice review Jessica =)

Jessica said...

I agree! In this story I liked both girls, but one stood out to me a bit more.. Also, they were separated almost the whole book and so it jumped back and forth quite a bit. In this instance they both had the same name so sometimes it took me a minute to realize who was who!