Friday, May 9, 2014

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Burn for Burn
By Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivan
Pub Date: September 2012
Series: Burn for Burn #1



Postcard-perfect Jar Island is the kind of place where nobody locks their doors at night, where parents can sleep easy, knowing their daughters are tucked away safe and sound in their beds.

But bad things can happen, even to good girls . . . and sometimes, the only way to make things right is to do something wrong.

Lillia used to trust boys, but not anymore. Not after what happened this summer. And she’ll do whatever it takes to protect her little sister from the same fate.

Kat is over the rumors, the insults, the cruel jokes made at her expense. It all goes back to one person--her ex-best friend. Someone needs to teach her a lesson, and, with Lillia and Mary behind her, Kat feels up to the task.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she’s not the same girl anymore. Now that she’s got friends who have her back, he's going to be in big trouble.

Three very different girls who come together to make things right. Will they go too far?

I'm not really sure how to explain my feelings about this book.

There were a lot of aspects that I liked, but some that I didn't really like at all.

I really like Jenny Han's writing style and that really came through..but.. I don't know. I liked this book (obviously I gave it a 4 star rating, but I'm already doubting myself thinking it may be closer to 3.5 stars?

I enjoyed that these girls are trying to get their revenge because these characters definitely had it coming to them. I didn't exactly end this book feeling as good about it as I did during the first half though, ya know? Something felt like it was missing. I didn't really like the random paranormal thing that happened. It just seemed very out of place. I don't know. I hate that it ended on a cliff hanger, but I know there's going to be at least two other books after this one so I'm not really worried about that.

This book was very interesting because it read like a fairly light contemporary, but it touched on some pretty deep issues. Suicide, bullying, drug use, date rape, etc.

I would like to continue on with the series and see how it goes, but this definitely isn't a new favorite nor is it as good as the last book I read by Jenny Han, To All the Boys I've Loved Before. Now THAT was an amazing book!

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: