Tuesday, May 6, 2014

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay
By Gayle Forman
Pub Date: April 2009
Series: If I Stay #1
Source: Purchased


Just listen, Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel.
I open my eyes wide now.

I sit up as much as I can.

And I listen.

Stay, he says.

Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?

Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.

If I Stay is a heartachingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make.
This was a really good book. It's pretty simple.

I admit that I had some trouble with the format of the book. The story was constantly jumping around and it was hard to keep track of at times. However, one thing that I really enjoyed (but it also made me cry my eyes out at times) was how Mia would describe an event in her past, usually it was centered around a person, and then Mia would counter it by jumping to the present and then talking about that person at that moment. She did that with Adam, her mom and Dad, her best friend... but when she was talking about how she would kiss Teddy's scrapes and how she was the first thing that he ever saw coming into this world.. and then Mia flashed to where Teddy was currently in the story, I just lost it.

One aspect I really loved in this story was the music. I love that there was so many different kinds introduced in this book. I loved that it brought people together and drove people apart as well.

I would have loved to learn even more about Mia and I think that this book could have been a lot longer!

I'm not sure when I will read the second book in the series, Where She Went, because the synopsis sounds a little upsetting to me. I definitely didn't think the story would take that turn. It actually has better ratings than this book, however, so I will definitely pick it up eventually. I think I just need a little break first. This book was pretty emotional.

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: