Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Top Ten Books I Almost Put Down But Didn't


       

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish Blog
Top Ten Books I Almost Put Down But Didn't

This list is going to vary a lot today. Some of these books I almost put down because they may have started out slowly, but I am so glad that I continued because I ultimately really enjoyed them. Others, however, I should have put down, but I made myself finish (and ended up wasting my time because they weren't very good).

  

  1. Half Bad by Sally Green - [My review] This was one of those books that I had been looking forward to reading, but was let down. I ended up giving this book ultimately 3/5 stars. It was a pretty slow read for me and I thought about putting it down a few times. As I said in my review, I felt that there wasn't much character depth and there were a lot of things left unexplained. It was just an okay read in the end.

2. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein - [My review] I really enjoyed this book overall! Unfortunately, the first half of the book was pretty slow and depressing at times (which is why it's on this list). However, keep reading! This book gets so, so good and the second half of the book is the best! I learned so much from this story about what it really means to be a "human" and ended up giving this book a 5/5 rating!

 

3. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - [My Review] This book was one of the strangest books I've ever read and I thought about putting it down a few times. It was kind of confusing at times and I honestly wonder if the author was on drugs during some of this... I really love the movies though! (3/5 stars)

4. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare - Have you ever read a book and you became so enraged and annoyed with the main character/s that you just wanted to stop reading it? 


I'm not saying that you were going to throw the book out of your window, but you were definitely just wanting a break from it? That's how this book was for me. Luckily the next book wasn't as annoying for me. (3/5 stars)


  

5. Choker by Elizabeth Woods - [My Review] This book. It was honestly the worst book I've read in a long time, and definitely the worst of 2013. You can read my review for more information on why, but overall I just really disliked it. Every other page I thought about putting this book down, but made myself keep reading. What a mistake. This was a waste of time. (1/5 stars)

 6. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell - [My Review] Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I just put this on here because the first 100 pages were so slow, that at one point I had considered putting it down and reading something else. It wasn't so bad that I thought that I never wanted to pick it up again, it was just one of those times where my TBR list was massive and overwhelming (when isn't it?) and I just thought, hey, maybe I'll put this down for a week or so. But I didn't. And I'm so happy about that decision. After the first 100 pages this book really picked up and it became this super cute romance book! I really enjoyed it! (4/5 stars)

 


7. The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks - This is the only Nicholas Sparks book that I hate. I've read almost all of them, but this book was so, so different than all of the others. The first half of this book was totally normal and then the second half just dove off a cliff. It was terrible. Just terrible. I wanted to stop at so many points, but forced myself to continue. This cute romance turned into this odd stalker- freaky thing and I hated it. Nicholas Sparks should just stick with what he's good at, writing love stories. (1/5 stars)

8. Beautiful Creatures by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia- [My Review] This book dragged on for me. I feel like I just forced myself to continue on with it. As I said in my review, this book could have easily been about half of the amount of pages... I have the rest of the series so I will probably just force myself to continue on..(or get rid of them). Overall I gave this book 3/5 stars.

 


9. The Elite by Kiera Cass - Similar to City of Fallen Angels, I got so tired of these charactes that I almost put this book down for a few days. The main character, America, was such a strong lead character in the first book that I admired her most of the time. In this book, however, she seemed to forget how to make decisions and got super whinny. I persevered however, and ended up rating it 4/5 stars.

10. Everlasting by Elizabeth Chandler - I really enjoyed reading books 1-3 of the Kissed by An Angel series and I thought the 4th was okay. This book however, pretty much stunk. My favorite character got possessed by some creepy demon spirit and started like tearing apart the main character, Ivy's, life. I somehow managed to finish this book, but I never continued on with the rest of the series. The author definitely should of stopped after the first three books. (3/5 stars)


Did any of you almost put down any of these books too? Let me know in the comments!

10 comments:

Aimee Robyn said...

City of Fallen Angels! Right?! I also put that one on my list, and I haven't read City of Lost Souls yet BECAUSE OF CoFA!
I also agree with Beautiful Creatures (the third in the series is on my list, it started getting a bit silly after the second book) I forced my way through as much as I could but I just couldn't bring myself to finish the series!
I haven't read Attachments yet, but I want to soon. And yes, Lewis Carroll was on drugs!
Aimee @ What Aimee Read Next

Jossie Posie said...

The Elite drove me crazy from start to finish...luckily I powered through in hopes that The One would redeem it. And it did. I also struggled with the first 70 or so pages of Attachments and kept putting it down but once you get through that chunk it's such a charming little story.

Sara Walker said...

Your feeling about City of Fallen Angels mimic mine. That book/those characters made me SO mad! I did end up finishing it, but I gave up on the series right there. Chocker was bad, I read that my first year of blogging and was not impressed. I guessed what was happening ten pages in. Beautiful creatures was FAR to long! It could have been half that and still been great. I haven't read the rest of the series because of how long all the books are.

Great list!

~Sara @ Just Another Story

Allie @ Little Birdie Books said...

Half Bad was one of those that I kind of wished I hadn't bothered with. Not because it was awful, but just because it was so bland and boring it didn't have any impact on me. It was basically a waste of time IMO!

Jessica said...

Luckily, CoLS was a lot better than CoFA! Hopefully you decide to pick it up in the future so you can read the last book that comes out at the end of this month! :)
I'm glad someone agrees with me! haha so many of my friends love that series and I just don't get it!
I may have been a BIT hard on Attachments in this blog. Most of my friends that read the book didn't feel like the 1/2 was slow. Maybe it's just me! Hope you get to read it soon! :)
I completely agree! haha

Jessica said...

GOOD! haha I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed The One! I've heard some mixed reviews, but most of my friends enjoyed it!
I'm glad you agree! I'm so, so happy that I continued on with Attachments! I loved it by the end!

Jessica said...

haha I've heard that from a lot of readers now! At least we aren't alone!
Luckily CoLS WAS a lot better, so hopefully someday you can continue again! The last book comes out this month!
I'm glad I'm not alone in disliking Choker :)
Thank you!

Jessica said...

Agreed! I didn't hate the book, I was just sort of indifferent to it! I found it rather slow, which is interesting because I have a friend that really enjoyed the pacing! I don't know.. I probably won't continue reading the rest of the trilogy...

Jamie said...

I ended up putting Half Bad down. I was sooo close to trucking through it but then I decided not to and I kept having people be like "it doesn't get much better so you didn't miss anything!" I have the WORST time putting down books bc of that "what if" factor but I'm trying to get better!!

Jessica said...

I'm the same way! I always wonder and I'll feel guilty if I don't finish. I'm getting better at allowing myself to read more of what I want though and letting go of a book that I'm not liking!
I agree, I don't think you missed much!