Monday, May 12, 2014

Bout of Books Day 1 Update



Bout of Books
 The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 12th and runs through Sunday, May 18th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 10 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team


Hey guys! I thought I would update you on my first day of the read-a-thon! Unfortunately today was also the first day of finals for me, but I got a little reading in!


Today I read 35 pages in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling. I was hoping to read more, but as I said school got in the way. :(

I also started and finished Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (for my English class). That was a total of 117 pages. I ended up giving it 3/5 stars. It was interesting to read about the main character Willy's mental decline because of his failure in trying to achieve the American Dream. There were many parts that moved me including Willy's inability to face facts and accept the love that his family was trying to give him. It was pretty sad overall. 

The last book that I read today, was The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer. I've read 75 pages so far and I'm really enjoying it! This is a children's story that just came out May 1st. Here is the synopsis if you were curious what it's about!

Twelve-year-old Grace and her mother have always been their own family, traveling from place to place like gypsies. But Grace wants to finally have a home all their own. Just when she thinks she's found it her mother says it's time to move again. Grace summons the courage to tell her mother how she really feels and will always regret that her last words to her were angry ones.
After her mother's sudden death, Grace is forced to live with a grandmother she's never met. She can't imagine her mother would want her to stay with this stranger. Then Grace finds clues in a mysterious treasure hunt, just like the ones her mother used to send her on. Maybe it's her mother, showing her the way to her true home.
Lyrical, poignant and fresh, The Secret Hum of a Daisy is a beautifully told middle grade tale with a great deal of heart.

Total pages read: 227

What have you read today?

2 comments:

Laura Plus Books said...

Woot woot! Good job on your reading for Day One! The Secret Hum of a Daisy seems really interesting! And like that cover is just gorgeous. <3 On Monday, I finished of The One and I read the novella The Prince. Good luck with the rest of your readathon!

Jessica said...

Thank you! :)
I agree! And I ended up really enjoying it overall! It was a very touching book!
I still need to read The One!