Friday, May 23, 2014

Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour

Everything Leads to You
By Nina LaCour
Pub Date: May 15th, 2014
Source: Publisher


A love letter to the craft and romance of film and fate in front of—and behind—the camera from the award-winning author of Hold Still.

A wunderkind young set designer, Emi has already started to find her way in the competitive Hollywood film world.

Emi is a film buff and a true romantic, but her real-life relationships are a mess. She has desperately gone back to the same girl too many times to mention. But then a mysterious letter from a silver screen legend leads Emi to Ava. Ava is unlike anyone Emi has ever met. She has a tumultuous, not-so-glamorous past, and lives an unconventional life. She’s enigmatic…. She’s beautiful. And she is about to expand Emi’s understanding of family, acceptance, and true romance.
I really enjoyed this book. This was my first book by Nina LaCour and I loved her style and the tone overall. The only problem I had was I felt like it was just a touch slow in the middle, but it picked up and I really enjoyed it!

I loved the plot surrounding film-making and of course the mystery they encountered. I really enjoyed all of the characters in this book, especially the mysterious Ava. These characters were flawed, yet seemed so real to me and I love reading about characters like that.

I appreciated that the main character was open about her sexual orientation and instead of this being a coming out story, Nina LaCour just made it a part of who Emi was. I've read stories where the secondary characters were gay, but not the main character so this was a first for me. I loved that our main character wasn't struggling with how she felt, but accepted it. I'll admit I was frustrated with Emi in the beginning because of her poor relationship choices (just learn how to walk away girl! she doesn't love you!) but I grew to love her.

Honestly, while reading this book, it almost felt like I was becoming friends with Ava, Charlotte, Emi, and Jamal. You see them for who they are, their flaws included, but despite it all you grow to love them all the same. I finished this book feeling happy and it gave me closure (which we all know I love.)

I like that this book encourages you to not wait, but to act. You never know how much time you'll have.

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

4 comments:

Jamie @ Ermahgerd Berks said...

I want to read this so bad!! the cover is amazing and I need it!!! ha

Devin Norwood said...

Oh man, this sounds like such a good book! And that cover is SO pretty! Hopefully I can get me a copy so I can read this ASAP! Awesome review, like always!

-Devin

http://devin-reads-books.blogspot.com/

Jessica said...

Agreed! You need to read it! haha I really liked it!

Jessica said...

I agree! I love the cover!!
I hope you can too! I really liked it! :)