Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer

The Secret Hum of a Daisy
by Tracy Holczer
Pub Date: May 1st, 2014
Source: Publisher




Twelve-year-old Grace and her mother have always been their own family, traveling from place to place like gypsies. But Grace wants to finally have a home all their own. Just when she thinks she's found it her mother says it's time to move again. Grace summons the courage to tell her mother how she really feels and will always regret that her last words to her were angry ones.

After her mother's sudden death, Grace is forced to live with a grandmother she's never met. She can't imagine her mother would want her to stay with this stranger.

Then Grace finds clues in a mysterious treasure hunt, just like the ones her mother used to send her on. Maybe it is her mother, showing her the way to her true home.

Lyrical, poignant and fresh, The Secret Hum of a Daisy is a beautifully told middle grade tale with a great deal of heart. - Goodreads

This book was so endearing. This is labeled as a middle grade novel probably because the main character is twelve, but she definitely didn't act that young. I couldn't imagine being only twelve and being an orphan (since her dad died before she was born.) Then, she was ripped from her current home and into the home of a grandma that she had never met. This was the same grandma that had forced her own mother out of the door when she was seventeen and pregnant. I'm sure I would have reacted very similarly to twelve year old Grace.

I really enjoyed the parts that involved Beauty and Daisy, and Joe and Max. I also really liked learning more about Grace's grandma and I loved seeing Grace's opinion of her change. This book was full of very interesting characters.

 I really enjoyed reading about Grace and her love of writing and art. I felt myself reaching out to her and hoping that she would find the home she deserved. I found the writing beautiful and this book definitely brought a few tears to my eyes. I really enjoyed the ending and felt a lot of closure (which I always love.)

I definitely recommend this touching book!

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: